16 February 2015

Sudan Commanders - Connoisseur Miniatures

The Column Commander looks on as his staff look for the enemy painted by myself  ten years ago!!.

Recent games have called for quite a few Regimental Colonels, Brigade staff, Battery Commanders and what not.  The perfect opportunity to use some additional Connoisseur Sudan staff that I had painted a while back as well as tarting up some figures I had painted years ago.

A great view of some of the most elegant horses ever sculpted - Connoisseur class!

Love this fez wearing Major - I have at least eight in the collection!

Old favourite painted by Cookie years ago and recently remounted on a Connoisseur horse.



The first choice for me is always the beautiful range from Bicorne miniatures that epitomises the Sudan wargames figures for me - Peter Gilders Sudan range!  As I have mentioned previously, the range is still capable of holding its own against modern figures and they are, in my opinion, gorgeous en masse.

This chap commands the Guards whenever they are on the field.


Have I mentioned I love these horses?


My Yorks and Lancs Colonel - Cookies work again.



Next time I will display a few command figures from other Sudan ranges and see how they compare, as well as the mighty Mahdists!

16 comments:

  1. Indeed , they stand the test of time well..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - they do look SO right don't they.

      Delete
  2. Great looking command stand, love the first vignette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil - yes I believe that is actually General Graham in their catalogue but he suits the vignette wonderfully well!

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures. Convey everything positive about the range and the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Graham - I am very much looking forward to your show stopper in 15 mm soon mate.

      Delete
  4. They are, indeed, lovely figures, Carlo. I don't think you've told us how you like the horses enough times, though. ;)

    The rules mean figurines of commanders are more than just eye candy. They have a real purpose when it comes to winkling stubborn Governors out of their cozy palaces. I remember one game when the esteemed gentleman resisted the successive blandishments of a general, brigadier and colonel when we attempted to get him to safety in the midst of a Mahdist assault on his town. It finally took a lowly captain to do the job - only for the British force to be ploughed under by the attackers. The Governor, his lady and said captain made it to safety by commandeering a boat, floating down the Nile under Mahdist rifle fire to reach the gunboat. The Desert Column died almost to a man - but job done, what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely spot on AJ - the commanders are an essential element of the game.

      Did you notice the equines by the way?

      Delete
  5. There is a terrible attraction in the Sudan shambles, partly I suppose because it echoes the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true John...thank goodness we all just play at toy soldiers compared to the challenges the region has always faced.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Carlo.

    Are the rules near completion now?

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darrell - thanks mate. Absolutely available : send me a email at carlopagano@bigpond.com and the rest will all fall into live mate.

      Delete
  7. Lovely Carlo. You may have notice I have been doing the same...you can never have enough mounted officers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathan - so true mate they all come in handy!

      Delete
  8. Thanks Michael - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete